Travel to Zurich
An international airport, excellent train connections and a well developed road network make Zurich the ideal location for convenient arrivals from around the world. Find out more about arriving in Zurich by plane, train or car below.
Arriving by Plane
Zurich Airport is just 10 km from the Zurich city center. In this way, it is quick and easy to get there after your plane has landed. There are various ways of traveling from the airport to Zurich.
|Mode of Transportation||Approximate Travel Time||Cost|
|Train||10 – 15 minutes||Single ticket: CHF 6.80
Day ticket 24h: CHF 13.60
Free with the Zurich Card
|Streetcar (Tram – Line 10)||35 minutes|
|Airport Shuttles||30 – 40 minutes||CHF 39|
|Taxi or Uber||15 minutes||CHF 60 – 70|
Arriving by Train
Zurich Main Station is a major hub and connects Zurich with Paris, Milan, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Budapest, and other European cities. Train lines link Zurich with the neighboring countries. You can travel to Zurich cheaply by train.
- Travelling within Switzerland by train
- Travelling from Germany by train
- Travelling from Austria by train
- Travelling from France by train
- Travelling from Italy by train
You can find more details here.
For a hotel room in Zurich you’ll have to budget at least 80-100 CHF per night.
On Zurich Tourismus “Where to Stay” you can choose your preferred category to search for accommodation. e.g. Budget Accommodation in Zurich: like the Youth Hostel, or Ibis Budget Zurich Airport – which is only a 20 minutes tram ride from the conference venue.
Getting around in Zurich
The simplest way to get around Zurich is on foot together with the public transport vehicles like bus, tram, train or boat.
The city has a comfortable size to reach sights etc walking. All major sights are within walking distance from Central Station and can be discovered in just a few hours on foot. You can have a look at here for more information.
The Zurich Transport Network is divided into fare zones. A network ticket enables you to travel on all means of transport within the relevant zones for the valid period. Fare zone 110 (city of Zurich) counts as 2 zones where prices are calculated. If you come or stay close to the airport, you need Zone 121 as well.
- Enjoy the lake by boat (“kleine Schiffrundfahrt”). It takes 1.5 hours from Bürkliplatz. You need only 3 zones: 110, 140, 150.
Zone 110 includes all boats on the river Limmat and the stops Bürkliplatz, Zürichhorn and Enge on the lake.
- You can walk and/or take the train up/down Üetliberg (zones 110, 154, 155) for a good view & some hiking.
- Get wet in the river Limmat: Unterer Letten, Oberer Letten
- Zurich Tours are for free via ETH Zurich Tours App (ca. 1 hours).
- Apart from many museums, you can find 400 works of art open to public by walking around the city.
On the Zurich Tourismus website you can find a lot more things to do and see.